Salted Dark Chocolate & Almond Butter Bites (Vegan)

February 7, 2013

nobakesaltedchocolate2

These are what I call the ‘I just did my taxes and need some chocolate’ cookies. They were a little ‘guilt free’ reward that was needed after sifting trhough document and papers and receipts and bank statements. It’s a shame really…I went to yoga right before sitting down to do my taxes in hopes that it would leave me in a state of calm. But after all questions after questions about loans / checks / wages…I needed some chocolate.

I decided to go the healthy and lazy (no bake) route with these. A whole lot of protein with a bit of sweet (from the dates) and some natural fats (from the nuts). They are totally indulgent but not in a ‘oh shit, I’m going to have to spend an extra 3 hours on the treadmill’ sort of way. They are rich and gooey but also filling and…dare I say, practical? As a vegetarian, I can pretty much convenience myself that anything with 5+ grams of protein is an acceptable snack / breakfast / lunch / dessert.

nobakesaltedchocolate copy

Salted Dark Chocolate & Almond Butter Bites (Vegan)

Inspired by The Sprouted Kitchen and Oh, Ladycakes
  • 1 cup nuts (I did 1/2 cup pecans and 1/2 cup almonds)
  • 1 cup dates, pitted (soaked in water for 10+ minutes)
  • 1/2 cup almond butter (or peanut or sunflower or cashew, whatever you are feeling)
  • 1 ounce dark chocolate, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Sea Salt, to garnish

Throw everything into a food processor and pulse until a thick dough forms (if its crumbly then add a tiny bit of water). Roll dough into tablespoon size balls and place on waxed paper. Smash the dough balls down slightly with clean fingers or a fork. Sprinkle with  sea salt . Stick in the fridge for an hour or enjoy them right away [in their prime gooeyness].

• Reply Rochelle @ WheatlessRochelle.com February 7, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Ohhh, I know what I’m doing now with the leftover dates I have in my fridge. Thanks! :)

• Reply jmayel & sacha February 8, 2013 at 3:17 am

These look lovely. but is it possible to make the almond butter? i live in Thailand and getting interesting ingredients for baking is a nightmare!

• Reply Shellywest February 8, 2013 at 10:03 am

For sure! Homemade almond butter would be SO delicious in these. I’d recommend this recipe for homemade almond butter (I like mine with a small hint of honey but any recipe would do): http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/04/sea-salt-and-honey-almond-butter/. Also, you could experiment and substitute peanut butter, cashew butter, tahini, etc etc etc.

• Reply jmayel & sacha February 10, 2013 at 12:05 am

i’m making these today for my wifes 29th. Lets hope i don’t mess it up!

• Reply Shellywest February 10, 2013 at 11:19 am

Good luck! They’ll turn out wonderful!

• Reply Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) February 9, 2013 at 8:28 am

Oh yeah, these look delish and easy :)

• Reply Abby @ The Frosted Vegan February 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh man, these look so so good! Props to you on doing your taxes, I become way too frustrated for that!

• Reply Searchable Saturdays | V February 11, 2013 at 12:13 pm

[...] Butter. Do I need to say more? A lovely commenter suggested making your own almond butter for my No Bake Salted Dark Chocolate Almond Bites and I could not agree [...]

• Reply Goodbye, moderation, hellooooo ice cream | Wait...are those...cookies?! February 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm

[...] recipe is from Vegetarian Ventures, here! Sooo glad I came across it, these are freaking amazing. Especially with date caramel on top! You [...]

• Reply Pat March 13, 2014 at 3:26 pm

These look really good and I’d like to try them. What do you mean by “dark chocolate?” Baking chocolate? Chocolate bar?

• Reply The Peace Patch April 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Another fabulous treat for last-minute guests…so yumfully easy! Many thanks! :)