Coriander Hummus

June 17, 2013

corianderhummus4

Did everyone have a fantastic Father’s day? What wonderful thing did you do for our Father? I drove eight hours to see Fleetwood Mac in Chicago with my Father on Friday (although…he paid for the ridiculously over-priced tickets so we are probably even). My father ALWAYS had a Fleetwood Mac album on in the car when I was little and it’s one of the rare moments I remember singing and dancing with him. It was awesome growing up on Fleetwood Mac, I’ve always wanted to see Stevie Nicks in person and she did not disappoint.

Coriandergarlichummus

Here’s a simple hummus recipe for you. I decided to put the ‘flavoring’ in the top and keep the hummus itself super basic (mmmm garlic garlic hummus). You don’t HAVE to peel the chickpeas but I read about doing it over at Smitten Kitchen a few months back and am totally hooked. I’ve ruined 2 blenders by overheating them when making hummus and this takes the majority of the work off the blender. Plus, it leaves your hummus so smooth that you’ll never need the store bought stuff again.

corianderhummus3

Coriander Hummus

• 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/3 cup tahini
  • 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/8 cup olive oil

• 1/4 cup coriander seeds, toasted and crushed (instructions below)*
  • 3 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Peel the chickpeas by lightly pinching the bean and the outer shell should come right off in one big peel. Repeat with the rest of the chickpeas. Transfer the beans, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, water, and olive oil in a blender (or food processor) and blend until smooth. Taste and season with salt, pepper, or more lemon juice. Transfer hummus to a big bowl.

Place the coriander seeds in a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir constituently for about two minutes or until they are fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from heat and immediately transfer to a mortar and pestle to crush. Sprinkle crushed coriander seeds over the hummus followed by sprinkling the cilantro.

Serve with pita and fresh veggies.

corianderh

• Reply gina June 17, 2013 at 11:06 am

Looks yummy! I like the idea of the seasoning on top

• Reply Shellywest June 17, 2013 at 11:18 am

Thanks, Gina! It gives it an added texture that doesn’t get soggy after a day like it would if you blended them in. : ]

• Reply carey June 18, 2013 at 8:36 am

Whoa, AWESOME father’s day!! (One of my good friends is a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, and his girlfriend surprised him with tickets to a show in Montreal for his birthday…..then they cancelled the show. Bah!)

I have been so curious about that chickpea peeling technique since Deb’s post. (I’ve made homemade hummus a bunch of times, but have always been less than thrilled by its somewhat gritty texture.) Love love love the cilantro and toasted coriander seed topping! (:

• Reply Shellywest June 18, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Ah – bummer city that they cancelled the show! I wonder why…they added an additional date to the Chicago line up. Hah.

Also, PEEL THE CHICKPEAS! I was a little hesitant when Deb posted about it but it totally makes a difference. You won’t be disappointed! And the skins come right off so it doesn’t take more than 5-10 extra minutes.

• Reply Sandy June 20, 2013 at 5:17 am

This LOOKS SO Delicious and wholesome. What a beautiful treat to the eyes as well.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Reply vegan-yums: Coriander Hummus / Recipe | VeganBlog.org April 3, 2014 at 10:28 pm

[…] Coriander Hummus / Recipe […]

• Reply 22 Vegetarian and Vegan Blogs for Veggie Lovers | TryMyKitchen October 21, 2014 at 5:53 am

[…] at http://www.vegetarianventures.com/ Photo – Coriander Hummus via Vegetarian […]