Vanilla Bean & Fig Shortbread Drizzled with Honey Glaze

September 8, 2013

figshortbreadsmall4

This past week has been wonderful. It was my birthday on Wednesday and I’ve been spoiled silly by so many wonderful people. Packages in the mail, trips to the city, visits from my mother, late night dinners. All this positive attention reminded me that I can also spoil myself a little -I decided I was entitled to as much sangria and shortbread as I please during this week. I whipped up a big batch of sangria and peach shortbread last Sunday and spent the week picking away at it. Heck, I even ran out of shortbread by Wednesday and whipped up another batch; this time I whipped up these fig shortbread bars.

Sometimes you are kind of nervous about getting older and the only cure is large amounts of butter and sparkling wine. Oh and having amazing people in your life.

figshortbreadsmall1

There is something incredibly comforting and satisfying about shortbread. Maybe it’s the mix of savory butter and sweetened fruit. Or maybe I just grew up with a little too much butter in my cookies. Either way,  these cookies will not disappoint. The honey is just icing on the cake (literally) – use maple syrup instead of honey if you are making the vegan version and double the recipe (use a 13×9 inch pan) if you are baking for a crowd.

figshortbread12

Vanilla Bean & Fig Shortbread Drizzled with Honey Glaze [Vegan Option]

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s Peach Shortbread
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise and seeds removed (can discard pod after)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons applesauce
  • 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) of butter or Earth Balance (if making vegan), sliced into big chunks
  • 5-7 figs, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces

For the drizzle:

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  • 1 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup if making vegan)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 8×8 inch pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla beans, baking powder, and salt. Use clean hands to work the butter and applesauce into your dry mix until the dough is course and crumbly. Press 2/3 the mixture into the bottom of your pan, lay the figs in a single layer across, and top the figs with the rest of the mixture.

figshortbreadsmall11

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is browned. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Whisk together the powdered sugar and honey. Slowly add in the hot water 1 teaspoon at a time until a thick glaze is  created. Drizzle glaze over your shortbread and enjoy!

figshortbreadsmall6

• Reply Sandra @ Kitchen Apparel September 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Oh wow…yummy!!! I wish I could eat the screen right now. I might have some fresh figs coming to me soon. I would love to make this with them :)

• Reply pat sportsman September 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Where did you get fresh figs ? I live in Washington state.

• Reply Harriet September 8, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Happy Birthday, lady! And wow – these shortbread appear to be the most perfect birthday food (I always think cake is overrated). I absolutely cannot wait for figs to come into season, and then it will be all figs all the time.

• Reply Katy K September 8, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Yum! This looks like my perfect dessert. figs. honey. shortbread. count me in! I saw that you’re from the midwest. I am too, and I cannot for the life of me find fresh figs anywhere! Where did you get yours?

• Reply Shellywest September 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Hey Katy – I have a really hard time finding figs as well and can only seem to find them in season (right around now) – I got these at Trader Joes and also found some at my local co-op grocery store (Bloomingfoods). Hope that helps & good luck! I find them to be a special treat since they are so uncommon around here. :]

• Reply Lauren September 11, 2013 at 11:08 am

This looks insanely delicious! I love figs so much… can’t wait to make this!
    xo,
    lauren @ http://www.lakeshorelady.com

• Reply gina September 12, 2013 at 11:21 am

Oh! i have so many figs on my tree that need to be used. I’ve been going with me savory recipes but this looks so yummy. it’s on my list now!!

• Reply Shellywest September 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

GAH – I was just SO jealous that you HAVE a fig tree!!!

• Reply Alanna {The Bojon Gourmet} September 18, 2013 at 3:53 am

Happy birthday, Shelly! I would take shortbread over cake any day (and especially on a special occasion). This figgy version looks to die for!

• Reply Grace @ earthy feast September 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm

This looks so damn good in every way. Happy belated Birthday!

• Reply Monica September 21, 2013 at 1:30 am

First of all thanks for the new recipe. I made these today and they are really good. My only comment is that if anyone is watching their sugar intake, the amount of glaze used can be cut back or eliminated. I drizzled on about a tenth of the drizzle and it was still very sweet. Maybe I got really sweet figs, I don’t know. But once again thanks for the new way to enjoy figs, I’ll be making these again! also for fig lovers who want to try an easy jam, look up recipe for strawberry fig preserves

• Reply Sylvie@GitK September 26, 2013 at 3:24 am

I have a soft spot for shortbread and this the most beautiful way to serve it!

• Reply TILT: Things I Love Thursday | Cake and Lilies October 10, 2013 at 4:35 am

[...] Left to right: one // two // three // four // five [...]

• Reply Secret Marmalade » Vanilla Plum Shortbread October 20, 2013 at 7:40 pm

[...] original recipe for Vanilla and Fig Shortbread available here looked incredible, but apparently, fig season has just ended. So…onto plan, uh, B? Plums. I [...]

• Reply 20 Delicious Shortbread Recipes | HipHomeMaking May 4, 2014 at 3:19 am

[…] (Source) […]

• Reply Sue August 4, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Can dried figs be substituted? Maybe re-hydrate them first?

• Reply Shellywest August 10, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I’ve never tried re-hydrating dried figs before but I’d imagine they would work? I would start with less sugar though since dried fruit tends to be sweeter. Also, instead of dried figs – try submitting with another fresh fruit like strawberries or blueberries or even a stone fruit! I have a feeling that would work even better! Hope that helps.

Thoughts?!