This Vegetarian Polenta Pizza Stuffed Peppers recipe is the perfect weeknight plant-based meal. Chocked full of nutritious vegetables, filling polenta, and gooey cheese, this main is sure to please everyone in your family!
We are just getting back into the swing of things after being on vacation in California for 10 days. I’m in that blissful in between state right now of still feeding off of the excitement of new experiences while also being so glad to be back in the comfort of our home. Upon arriving home, I immediately showered Tuko (my boxer) in hugs and kisses and then raced into the kitchen to do some comfort baking (in the form of whipping up a batch of banana muffins from some bananas that had been ripening on our counter the entire time we were gone). All the fancy CA restaurants were amazing but I spent the second half of our trip itching to get back into the kitchen.
Hoping to have a full recap of the trip up next week (until then, check out the photos I posted over on instagram). As for now, let’s continue on our quest to make more vegetarian plant-based main dishes (without all the processed proteins like tofu and seitan). This week we are mixing two favorites: pizza and stuffed bell peppers! Think of the bell peppers as a less carb-y base than the pizza crust we usually turn to.
There is also a layer of polenta in there to give the stuffed peppers some extra texture and so they are more filling. I prefer to used pre-cooked tubed polenta for this dish so it can be whipped up quickly but you could make polenta from scratch if you have the time. Serve with a side salad for a complete and satisfying vegetarian dinner!
Vegetarian Polenta Pizza Stuffed Peppers recipe below:
- 3 bell pepper, halved with seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + more for greasing
- 9 oz pre-cooked polenta (half a normal size tube) or about 1½ cups homemade, cut into 6 even pieces
- 1½ cups of your favorite tomato sauce (I used this recipe)
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, divided into 6 equal chunks
- Parmesan, for sprinkling
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
- Salt / pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Brush peppers with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
- Divide the polenta between the bell pepper halves and use a fork to break the polenta up. Pour ¼ cup tomato sauce into each bell pepper half and top with mozzarella. Sprinkle a healthy helping of Parmesan, oregano, salt, and pepper over the mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese on top is browned and bubbling.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve right away.