Vegetarian Heartland Cookbook
Hello Vegetarian ‘Ventures readers!
What started out as simple spark of an idea in April 2014 is finally came to life in June 2017! In between those three years, I poured my creative energy into writing, recipe developing, and photographing this 272 page cookbook that focuses on meat-free comfort food. Pulling inspiration from growing up in the Midwest, the 100+ recipes in this book feature seasonal adventures revolving around food. You’ll find anything from quick and portable road trip fare to campfire cooking meals to in-depth snowed in recipes.
About the book: Showcasing the heartland dishes we all love made vegetarian, this cookbook provides a literal and visual feast of creative, generous cooking that’s born in the traditions of the Midwest but transcends geographic boundaries. Celebrated photographer and blogger Shelly Westerhausen presents 100 wholesome, meatless recipes for everything from drinks to desserts. Thoughtfully organized by the adventures that make a weekend special—picnics, brunch, camping and more—this gloriously photographed book will inspire folks to eat well, wherever their vegetarian ventures lead them. Celebrating a fresh perspective in food, here’s a new go-to that’s perfect for vegetarians and anyone looking for more delicious vegetable-forward meals.
- 100 wholesome, meatless recipes for everything from drinks to desserts
- Tips for stocking a vegetarian pantry
- Split seasonally, the chapters are broken up into ways to adventure with your recipe: Farmer’s Market Day, Picnic, Brunch Potluck, Road Trip, Berry Picking, Cookout, Fall Fruit Picking, Camping, Hiking, Snowed In, Holiday Hosting, and Playing in the Snow.
- Most recipes are accommodated with a photograph as well as atmosphere photos to get you inspired for your next adventure!
Want to preview a few recipes to see if this book is for you? Check out the following links:
- A Beautiful Plate – Wild Rice Veggie Burgers with Herbed Ricotta
- With Food + Love – Pimm’s Punch
- A Couple Cooks – Coconut Curry Shashuka (+ I’m on their podcast!)
- Kale & Caramel – Roasted Vegetables with Creamy Romesco Sauce
- Snixy Kitchen – Roasted Beets with Creamy Romesco Sauce
- The First Mess – Vegan Sloppy Janes
- Occasionally Eggs – Savory Herb Quinoa Pancakes
- Faring Well – Dark Chocolate Seedy Nut Clusters
- The Green Life – Spicy Peanut Soba Noodles
- Brewing Happiness – Whole Wheat Muesli Bread
- Tending The Table – Rhubarb Hibiscus Iced Tea
- Listen to A Couple Cook’s podcast about the book
- Read an excerpt over on Bon Appetit’s Healthyish