Fall Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans, and Cranberries

October 11, 2012

Good Morning! I know I’ve already mentioned this in previous posts but have you checked out Chickpea magazine yet? I am so excited that they have officially starting shipping out the fall issue this week. I cannot wait to snuggle up on the coach with my puppy and a big mug of chai tea while I swoon over this issue’s recipes and articles!

Anyhow, today I am sharing a recipe for a quinoa salad. Do you like quinoa? Did you try that Southwestern Quinoa Salad I posted about awhile back? If you have not tried it, I highly recommend checking this grain (is it a grain or a seed?) out. It has such a unique, light and filling texture//taste that it really is hard to explain. This salad is super simple and easy to make so this would be a great introduction to quinoa for you. The hint of cinnamon counteracts the tart apples to make a flavorful and filling side dish.

Fall Quinoa with Apples, Pecans, and Cranberries

• 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tart apple, diced (sprinkle a little lemon juice on the apple chunks to keep from turning brown)
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries (or cherries or whatever else you like dried!)

For the dressing:

• 2 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • dash of cinnamon
  • salt/pepper

Bring the water a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add in the quinoa. Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and “fluff” the quinoa with a fork.

Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and add to cooled quinoa. Mix in the apple, pecans, and cranberries into the quinoa.

Serve warm or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.

• Reply gglarue October 12, 2012 at 10:43 am

I cannot wait to try this. I have never seen these ingredients used in quinoa, but they sound like a such great idea!! Love your recipes!

• Reply albertocook October 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I like this recipe!

• Reply Melissa October 15, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Love the ease of this recipe and the fact the family ate it up was even better!

• Reply shellywest October 16, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Ohhh! So glad to hear that!

• Reply Vanessa November 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Can I substitute agave for the maple syrup or will that be a different flavor altogether?

• Reply Shellywest November 19, 2012 at 11:02 am

Definitely! It may adjust the flavor slightly (but not in a bad way!) and it will maintain the same texture for the dressing.

• Reply Happy Friendsgiving! « I Broke my Umbrella November 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

[...] and I brought a classic green bean casserole but subbed in soy milk for regular milk. We also made this delicious quinoa salad. I doubled the recipe, used veggie broth in place of water, and added 3 chopped scallions, and it [...]

• Reply November Wrap Up/December Goals « I Broke my Umbrella December 4, 2012 at 9:01 am

[...] an amazing gluten free side dish to bring to Thanksgiving- Done! I made this with a little green onion and veggie broth and it was [...]

• Reply Cinnamon Quinoa Granola | V February 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm

[...] played around with quinoa dozen of time (see: Southwestern Quinoa Salad, Quinoa Nuggets, or Fall Quinoa Salad) but have never been as excited about it as I am with this recipe. Toasting quinoa? Who would have [...]

• Reply District & More November 6, 2013 at 8:24 am

I just found your site and love your recipes and pictures! I tried making the quinoa salad last night. Worked great! Here is my take on it:

• Reply Shellywest November 6, 2013 at 9:50 am

Yay – so glad it turned out wonderful for you!

• Reply Fall Quinoa Salad | District & More November 6, 2013 at 11:33 am

[...] meal. Bonus point: you can take the leftovers to work the next day.  I based my recipe off of this post from Vegetarian Ventures.  I swapped walnuts for pecans and a little agave for maple syrup. Next [...]

• Reply sarah February 28, 2014 at 2:13 am

I made this, omitting the cinnamon, adding a bit of chopped mint, 1/2 chopped cucumber, and a handful of julienned spinach. It IS delicious! I LOVE the dressing! Added a splash of apple cider vinegar, because I didn’t use enough water, and quinoa dried out. YUM!!! THANKS!!!!

• Reply Donna March 21, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Amazing – best quinoa salad I’ve had! Added feta to make a meal.