Mini Strawberry Chocolate Tart with Whipped Goat Cheese & Basil Micro Greens

May 19, 2013

strawberrytart5

Let’s talk about micro greens. Do you eat them? Do you grow them? To be perfectly honest, I had not had much experience with them before this spring. After planting my two gardens, I was still left with tons of seeds until I rememberd an article my Grandma sent me a few months back about using extra seeds to make micro greens. The process is simple and only takes between 7 and 14 days to grow. So while you are sitting around waiting for those tomato plants to produce fruit three months down the road, you could have already harvested six rounds of micro greens!

strawberrytart3

For this recipe, I used basil micro greens which complimented the strawberries wonderfully. It tasted like summer in every bite. I’ve found the basil micro greens to be the most flavorful so far but the swiss chard is the prettiest. With tiny strips of pink, yellow, and red…it’s hard to resist not topping everything with them. If you are into the idea of making your own micro greens, check out Claire’s post on it here or hop on over to Organic Gardening for their step by step tutorial.

strawberrytart6

Also, on the topic of new things, I was at the farmer’s market earlier today and my friend mentioned how her boyfriend eats the strawberries with the stems on. I immediately asked if she had told me he wasn’t supposed to do that and she laughed. She then went on to tell me that although it’s not standard, it’s in fact totally okay to eat the stems and that she has no right telling him not to do it. I didn’t believe her. After much research (aka – hopping on my iPhone), I discovered that I was completely wrong.  MIND BLOWN. AND…this was a game changer! I loved sliced strawberries but they are so much more beautiful whole. Hence the reason i kept them whole in this recipe…you can totally dig into the ENTIRE strawberry. BUT, if that is too weird for you (it’s okay, I totally understand) then feel free to chop the strawberries into thin slices or chunks.

If you’d like to just make one regular pie size version instead of two miniature, just double the recipe below.

strawberrytart8

Mini Strawberry Chocolate Tart with Whipped Goat Cheese & Basil Micro Greens

Makes 2 mini tarts (double recipe to make a standard pie size) / Gluten-Free

For the crust:

•  1 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

For the filling:

• 1.5 ounces of goat cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 Tablespoons greek yogurt
  • 1 Tablespoon maple syrup

• About 1 1/2 cups strawberries
  • handful of basil micro greens (or regular basil if you can’t find micro greens)

To make the crust: Whisk together the almond flour and salt. Add in the maple syrup and coconut oil and whisk until a crumbly dough forms. Divide the dough in half and press the dough into two miniature pie pans (or a regular size pie pan if you doubled the recipe). Use a fork and pierce the dough all over. Stick in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 15 minutes or until it starts to brown. Remove from oven and let cool before adding toppings.

In a blender or food processor, combine the goat cheese, yogurt, and maple syrup. Spread into an even layer on the tart crusts.

Top with strawberries and basil micro greens.

strawberrytart

• Reply Sarah May 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Goats cheese and straweberries are such a perfect pairing. this tart looks delicious, and thanks for the 411 on microgreens – something even I might be able to grow!

• Reply Sarah May 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Goats cheese and strawberries are such a perfect pairing. this tart looks delicious, and thanks for the 411 on microgreens – something even I might be able to grow!

• Reply Shellywest May 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

You are very welcome! I do hope you try to grow some of your own – they add such a new complexity to salads and desserts that I currently can’t get enough of them!

• Reply Alanna {the Bojon Gourmet} May 20, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh my!! This sounds AMAZING! I love everything about this recipe. The crust sounds perfect, and gluten-free, too. I’ll eat goat cheese in everything, even and especially dessert. I love knowing that you can eat the strawberry stems – that is brilliant. And basil micro greens sound like the most heavenly, spectacular topping! Yum!

• Reply Alanna {the Bojon Gourmet} May 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Also, these photos are just stunning!

• Reply Shellywest May 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thanks, Alanna! I feel the same way about goat cheese – it’s tang just works so well with everything sweet!

• Reply Alanna {The Bojon Gourmet} July 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

Shelly, thank you so much for posting this recipe! I just posted a version with port-poached cherries in place of the berries. :)

• Reply Shellywest July 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm

AMAZING! You always come up with the best boozy combinations – can’t wait to check it out!!

• Reply Katie May 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm

This is beautiful! I love the idea of using basil microgreens – I’ve definitely thought about it for bean and broccoli sprouts, but never basil! I bet they have a wonderful flavor.

• Reply missphips May 22, 2013 at 12:25 pm

oh my god! it looks deliciouuuus! i want to try this recipe! in fact, i want to try them all!
    i love your blog! congratulations for the nice work! ♥

• Reply Shellywest May 22, 2013 at 10:09 pm

: ] !!! Thank you, missphips!

• Reply shellsten | Piecefully July 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I found these (and you blog!) through Pinterest and they look absolutley fab. Strawberries and goats cheese = <3 wonderful.

• Reply Shellywest July 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Yay! Thanks, Shellsten. I’ve been poking around your blog and it’s gorgeous as well!

• Reply A Look Back & New Goals /// 2013 Round-Up | December 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm

[…] Mini Strawberry Chocolate Tart with Whipped Goat Cheese & Basil Micro Greens (why was this the first time discovering micro […]

• Reply Ismat Tahseen March 10, 2014 at 3:23 am

Hi there, I am a journalist with the Times of India, Bombay Times newspaper. I am working on a story on micro greens and came across your blog. Wondering if I can use this lovely picture of the tart with micro greens, as well as your views in the story. please do let me know. My email is ismatatwork@gmail.com thanks!

• Reply Top 15 Fresh Spring Recipes April 11, 2014 at 5:38 pm

[…] Recipe & Photo credit to vegetarianventures.com […]

• Reply Fruits Starter – Inspiration | Kutch et Couture April 15, 2014 at 3:56 pm

[…] tartelettes crème de fromage de chèvre fraises x basilic […]

• Reply Hortus Natural Cooking – Naturally Italian. Three Roses Strawberry Pistachio Bavarese | Hortus Natural Cooking - Naturally Italian. December 3, 2014 at 7:30 am

[…] almond maple crust by Vegetarian Ventures would be delicious for this recipe, but I’d skip the cacao […]