Gingerbread Syrup /// DIY Gifting

December 9, 2013

gingerbreadsyrup5s

Yikes, another sweets recipe? The holiday season has once again taken over and I can’t seem to get my mind to focus on anything else. I feel a little guilty about how sugar-laden VV has been over the past month (I’m not exaggerating. don’t believe me? Look here. and here. and even here). I feel like I’m setting a bad example after I went on that long rant last week to you guys about how switching to a vegetarian lifestyle is a healthy choice. So, I guess, what I’m trying to say is that for every sweets recipe I post on here, there are 10 salads being eaten in the days between which are not getting photographed / recorded. And that being a vegetarian is not an excuse to skip dinner because there is meat in it and jump right into dessert. But… do you know what is an excuse for that? The holidays! And they are here – so why don’t we just indulge for a little longer? Come on – what do you say? Well stuff our faces with fresh lentil soup and kale smoothies come the New Year – I promise!

My initial thought when deciding to make this syrup was that I could use dates as the sweetener and do a little bit of healthy twist on it. But I also wanted to make this syrup for far-away friends and I was worried about the dates not being able to travel halfway across the country without spoiling, ya know? What an awful greeting to an old friend – ‘Hey! Here is a package of spoiled baked goods for you! Enjoy! Hope ya don’t get too sick’. It just didn’t seem worth the risk. So, instead, I stuck to the good ‘ole fashion recipe that we’ve been making every year around this time. Silky and sweet – so you only need a few teaspoons. Perfect in your hot cocoa or morning cup of coffee. A great addition to a festive cocktail or to drizzle over baked goods. When deciding that I wanted to make some festive care packages for old friends, I couldn’t think of a more versatile gift.

In addition to this syrup, I’m including some homemade vanilla extract (that has been aging for 5 months now), my Sweet & Salty Curry Molasses Popcorn, and Baker Royale’s Cookies & Cream Bark (which was really just an excuse to buy another package of Newman-Os) in the goodies I’m sending to friends.

Next up – family packages! What are you DIY gifting this year? I need some more inspiration!

***REMINDER: Don’t forget to enter to win the book bundle I am giving away! Entries will be accepted until next Sunday so hop on over here and sign up!***

gingerbreadsyrup10gg

Gingerbread Syrup

makes 2 cups

•  2 cinnamon sticks
  • 15 whole cloves
  • 3 Tablespoons of chopped fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon whole allspice
  • 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
  • 2 Tablespoons molasses
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • cheesecloth

Wrap the cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice, and peppercorn in a double lined square cheesecloth. Whisk the molasses, sugar, water, and nutmeg in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and let the cheesecloth spices steep in the simmering mixture for 30 to 40 minutes or until a thick mixture is formed.

gingerbreadsyrup14s

Once thick, remove from heat and let cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to a month and lather over everything sweet. Or gift to all your friends.

gingerbreadsyrup2q

• Reply Katie @ 24 Carrot Life December 9, 2013 at 9:01 am

No such thing as too many sweets. Love the little gift tag!

• Reply Jacquelyn | lark & linen December 9, 2013 at 9:04 am

finally a DIY gift I would be excited to receive! So so great

• Reply Sandra December 9, 2013 at 9:07 am

Gingerbread syrup sounds lovely. What an awesome gift box…that cookie bark…ummmm!!!! Tis’ the season to indulge and you are right, come new years it will be nothing but kale smoothies and beans so keep the sweets coming :)

• Reply Rebecca December 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm

My christmas hampers this year will include basil salt, vanilla essence, lemon sage curd, beer thyme mustard, ketchup, peppermint + pineapple tea…and now this syrup!

Thanks for all the inspiration, I love your blog so much and your frequency of posting is terrifyingly good.

• Reply Shellywest December 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Oh my! All of those sounds wonderful! Please tell me you will be posting the recipes on your blog soon?! Specifically that lemon sage curd and pineapple tea!!

• Reply Rebecca December 13, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Ah, sadly my dedication to posting frequently is not as staunch as yours, I’ll try my best!

• Reply maria | pink patisserie December 11, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Oh my goodness Shelly, this is stunning. I’d love to receive a gift like this! That syrup has got to me one of the most lovely things I’ve seen in a long time.. I’d trade you some bourbon balls for that any day.. :)

• Reply Sylvie@GitK December 12, 2013 at 5:32 am

What a great gift idea! I love any and everything ginger or gingerbread, especially this time of year.

• Reply Lovely & Unrelated: The Christmas Edition | lark&linen December 13, 2013 at 3:03 am

[…] ornaments  EVER :: You may have already seen this, but it makes me so happy :: and a DIY gift I’d be thrilled to […]

• Reply 7 delectable holiday gingerbread recipes with a twist - Cool Mom Picks December 14, 2013 at 6:00 am

[…] not sure what I love more, this Gingerbread Syrup, or how Shelly of Vegetarian Ventures brilliantly packages the syrup as part of an easy DIY gift. […]

• Reply Aimee @ Simple Bites December 14, 2013 at 8:00 am

Yes to it all, the spiced syrup, the edible gift, the cute packages – all of it!

• Reply Heather December 17, 2013 at 10:14 am

Oh my goodness this syrup sounds incredible and so easy to make! This year the majority of my family and friends will be receiving a DIY Kitchen gift basket made up of Instant Chai Latte Mix, Vanilla Extract, Flavored Salts and Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola and now this!

Thanks for sharing such a great recipe :)

• Reply Shu December 17, 2013 at 10:34 am

Been checking out edible gift ideas while penning my own blog post, and came across this one. BLOODY GENIUS. I might just do a last minute batch to add to my own set of gifts for friends. Thanks for the inspiration. x

• Reply late afternoons: Holiday Gift Guide: Do It Yourself December 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm

[…] 7. Give the gift of ‘something sweet’ with Vegetarian Ventures blog steps on Gingerbread Syrup […]

• Reply Christmas time, beer and thyme (mustard): A very effortful Christmas | A Day In The Food December 28, 2013 at 8:24 pm

[…] and mint tea Gingerbread syrup (http://www.vegetarianventures.com/2013/12/09/gingerbread-syrup-diy-gifting/#.Ur92EPvLIf4) Honey curry mustard and Beer thyme mustard […]

• Reply Patricia January 8, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Love this!!! Would be great to receive, but a wonderful gift-giving idea, too!