Tuko Turns .5: DIY Doggy Biscuits

June 6, 2012

Although we have only had Tuko (also sometimes referred to as Taco, Teekee, and Tofu) for 4 months, I can hardly remember not having the little guy around. He is always right there whimpering for attention, sleeping in my lap, licking my face, or begging to go outside. Although he was a real handful at first, he has already mellowed greatly since the bewildered puppy that first arrived at our door step from the farm-like upbringing he was born into.

Although this is a bit late, he turned 6 months last week and I felt like we had to celebrate his excelled maturity in some way….so I made him some dog biscuits! I thought about cutting them out with cookie cutters and finding a frosting recipe but he was whimpering for me to play with him the whole time I was making these things. Needless to say, I figured my attention to him was more important than making his next snack look pretty.

Anyways, these treats are SUPER easy to make and I really like the concept of knowing exactly what is going into his food. He doesn’t need to be eating that processed stuff any more than we do.

DIY Doggie Biscuits

originally from Dog Treat Kitchen

• 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup all natural peanut butter
  • 1 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all dry ingredient together. Add in the peanut butter and slowly add in the warm water while mixing together.

Roll out into 1 inch balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for an hour to firm up.

Feed to your puppy as a reward, for a snack, or just to see the excited tail wag!

• Reply The Hearty Herbivore June 6, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Happy Birthday, Tuko! I still want to meet this guy!

• Reply shellywest June 7, 2012 at 9:35 am

You must! Are you around Bloomington this summer?

• Reply The Hearty Herbivore June 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Yeah! I’m here. Taking a few classes and working. I’m actually hoping to have some kind of food party sometime this summer! I’ll let you know the details when I decide. :)

• Reply shellywest June 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Ah yes! I love potlucks! Let me know if you’d like to cook sometime. It might be fun to see two different perspectives on one meal!

• Reply baconbiscuit212 June 7, 2012 at 2:15 am

I wish I had a dog! You have a very lucky birthday boy!

• Reply Morlan Carr June 7, 2012 at 2:47 am

Reblogged this on Jack Sprats Cafe.

• Reply Alicia @ Treble Tart June 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

Wow, what a great, easy way to make your puppies happy! :) I’ll definitely be making these today. Thanks!!

• Reply Best Bully Sticks June 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi Shelly!
    Our company’s blog would love to feature this recipe on our blog. Please contact me at callie.bestbullysticks@gmail.com to talk more! Thanks! =D

• Reply musingsofashrew June 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm

He’s perfect!!! My first ever puppy was a boxer so I have a soft spot.

• Reply shellywest June 20, 2012 at 9:42 am

Oh! So you know exactly what I am talking about! Glad to hear it.

• Reply Weekly Drool Recipe: Tuko’s Cookies, A Guest Blog from Shelly West’s Vegetarian Ventures | Best Bully Sticks Healthy Dog Blog June 20, 2012 at 9:01 am

[...] seeing Shelly’s great blog and Tuko BBS just had to feature this recipe!  Here is Vegetarian Venture’s (a.k.a Shelly’s) original [...]

• Reply Marjory Setters July 24, 2012 at 1:24 am

I really love to munch peanut butter because of its sweet and nutty taste. Peanut butter with large peanute chunks are the best. :*””

Till next time

• Reply Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits | V November 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

[...] time has really flown fast since I posted about Tuko turning 6 months. Since then, we’ve moved into a new house, I graduated from college, and Wyatt started a new [...]

• Reply Weekly Drool Recipe: Tuko’s Cookies, A Guest Blog from Shelly West’s Vegetarian Ventures | A WordPress Site May 22, 2014 at 5:30 pm

[…] seeing Shelly’s great blog and the adorable Tuko, BBS just had to feature this recipe!  Here is Vegetarian Venture’s (a.k.a Shelly’s) original […]

• Reply Creamy Peanut Butter "Pupsicles" | August 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm

[…] boxer that we treat more like our own kid than a family pet. You may have already met him here or here or here but I don’t hold you accountable for remembering since those posts were so long ago […]