After dinner each night, Wyatt and I have been enjoying a drink on our porch with the smell of humidity tingling our noses, the endless buzzing of bugs in the distance, and quality conversation. I’ve started to look forward to these quiet moments in each evening with him; they feel like the true Midwest summer memories I long for in the dead of winter. They also remind me of our college days when we’d hurry up to finish our homework so we could drink beer on friends’ porches. With Labor Day behind us, I’m already noticing pumpkin-spice-flavored everything showing up on end caps and fall activity guides dotting my Pinterest feed. It’s hard to image letting go of perfectly ripened tomatoes, crisp corn on the cob, and porch evenings when it’s still warm enough for lake swimming.
Keeping with my summer theme of ‘simple in the kitchen’ (because I’m not ready to let fall in), I have teamed up with Green Giant for one last post on how to whip up an easy #weeknightdatenight meal for you and your significant other (check out the other collaborative recipes here and here. Today’s post features a simple ‘pasta’ salad with the characteristics of a grain salad. The chickpeas in the salad make it hearty enough for a meal while still keeping you from feeling weighted down.
This being the last collaboration in this series with Green Giant means you have one final chance to win the Green Giant goodies basket (see photos here). The basket includes one 12-inch non-stick (PFOA-free) Calphalon fry pan, a wooden sauté paddle, love birds salt-and-pepper shakers, his & hers aprons, and two coupons for the new Green Giant Sautés. All of these goodies are perfect for your next #WeeknightDateNight! Enter anytime between now and next Monday, September 21st to get your hands on these goodies!
*NOTE: There are a ton of different couscous varieties and they all come in different sizes, which means different cooking times. Make sure to read the label or bulk bin on how to prepare the variety you’ve picked up.
Simple Parmesan Couscous Salad recipe below:
- 4 cups cooked couscous (prepared according to manufacturer’s directions)
- Juice from half a lemon
- ¼ cup loosely packed parsley + more for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package Green Giant Sautés Parmesan Garden Medley
- 1 (15 oz) can of garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Green onions, for garnish
- Two fried eggs, to serve (optional but a great addition!)
- Stir the lemon juice and parsley into the cooked couscous and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium.
- Add in the vegetables from the Green Giant Parmesan Garden Medley and sauté for five minutes before adding as much of the spice packet as you like.
- Next, add in the garbanzo beans and sauté for another two minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and toss into the couscous along with the tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.
- Let chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and green onions when serving.
- Serve with one fried egg per person (optional).
This post was sponsored by Green Giant but all opinions in this post are of my own. Thank you so much for helping to support brands that keep VV thriving!