Tofu Thai Lettuce Wraps

May 20, 2012

Continuing with my “health kick” this week, I decided to whip up these lettuce wraps for a refreshing and light dinner. I use to live in Nashville, TN and would go to the PF Chang (sorry- I am USUALLY not a chain girl) just to get the tofu lettuce wraps appetizer. This is my version of those and it’s fantastic; stocked full of refreshing veggies and flavorful sauces and then wrapped in a light lettuce leaf. There is something about the kick from the chili powder followed by a cool down from the lettuce that counteracts each other perfectly.

And if eating these because they are delicious and healthy weren’t enough, they are so much fun to assemble and munch down on! It’s like you’ve been given permission to play with your food (for once!). Also, if you are feeling like these won’t fill you up, think about adding some Scallion Wonton Bites as a side.

PS Omit the egg if you’re vegan!

Tofu Thai Lettuce Wraps

• 2 cups bean sprouts
  • 2 Tablespoons lime juice
  • 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce
  • dash of chili powder
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • dry roasted peanuts, for garnish

In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for a minute. Next, add in the tofu, carrot, mushrooms, cabbage, and spring onions and saute another minute (if the pan gets try add a little water). Mix in the lime juice, soy sauce, chili powder and Teriyaki sauce.

Push ingredients to the side and crack the egg in the skillet. Stir quickly to break the yoke and then incorporate the egg with the rest of the mix. Once the egg is cooked, remove from heat and add in the bean sprouts.

Assemble by filling a whole piece of lettuce with 2 or 3 tablespoons of mixture and then sprinkle peanuts on top.

It’s probably impossible to tell because of the long hair but this is Wyatt munching down on some lettuce wraps! Mmmmm.

• Reply Mrs. Buena Vida May 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm

looks yummy!

• Reply luvnorcal May 20, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Oh wow this looks like a great recipe! I’m a pf changs fan too, haven’t been there in a while but I love their food, even if I end up feeling horrible afterwards from all the fat and oil haha. The lemon pepper shrimp there is yummy.

• Reply emmycooks May 21, 2012 at 12:31 am

These look great and the wontons do too! (Do you think I could bake them, though? I’m kind of scared of frying.)

• Reply Valerie {all mussed up} May 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

I just made this for dinner, thanks for the great idea! I swapped out the teriyaki sauce for a mix of fish sauce, sweet soy, and shoyu. NUM.

• Reply unlockthefountain May 22, 2012 at 12:16 am

Lovely!

• Reply unlockthefountain May 22, 2012 at 12:17 am

Reblogged this on Unlock The Fountain and commented:
    A lovely summertime meal.

• Reply cooktocure May 22, 2012 at 12:41 am

Had to re-post this lovely looking recipe.

• Reply Smart Growthist May 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Made these for dinner last night – they were amazing! I didn’t want to use teriyaki sauce though (my boyfriend and I try to avoid sugar) so I threw in some stevia and upped the soy sauce, ginger and garlic.
    Not only are they delicious, but they were a total blast to eat.
    Thanks for posting this!

• Reply shellywest May 28, 2012 at 10:49 pm

So glad to hear you and your boyfriend enjoyed these!!

• Reply Laura - Chronicles of Passion May 29, 2012 at 7:05 pm

YES! I have a block of tofu in my fridge waiting to be used up and have been contemplating lettuce wraps for a long time now. I’m inspired!

• Reply May Wrap Up « Vegetarian 'Ventures May 31, 2012 at 12:19 pm

[...] Tofu Thai Lettuce Wraps: These wraps are as fun to eat as they are delicious. We ate them on the porch so that we [...]

• Reply marynating July 18, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I love lettuce wraps of all kinds! I’m very happy to try this out.

• Reply marynating July 18, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I love thai lettuce wraps, but haven’t tried them on my new journey into veganism. I will be adding these ingredients to my grocery list for sure!

• Reply Healthy eating doesn’t have to break the bank | mokshafrika July 14, 2014 at 10:15 am

[…] Tofu Thai Lettuce Wraps […]