French Onion Soup [Revisited]

May 15, 2013

frenchonion5

Soup?! Really? But it’s SPRING. Soup season is over. Or so I thought. This past rainy and chilly Saturday sparked my desire for one last soup for the season. My stepfather and Ma had dropped off a 10 pound bag of onions from Shriners earlier in the week week. TEN pounds. Do you know how many onions that is for two people? A lot. I racked my brain trying to think of recipes that used more than 1 onion in it…stuffed onions with couscous and goat cheese? Or Pickled onions with beets and coriander? And then Wyatt suggested onion soup. Of course!

I’ve only made quick french onion soup but the rain challenged me to spend the afternoon in the kitchen caramelizing the onions. And don’t get me wrong – the quick method is delicious but it’s not even comparable to traditional french onion soup. This method leaves you with melt-in-your mouth, sweet slices of onion amaziness. I wish I had caramelized all ten pounds of onions to throw onto of everything (pizza, pasta, salads, …ice cream?).

Try this method of making french onion the next time you are stuck inside because of the weather or come home after a long day and need some serious cooking therapy.

frenchonion3

French Onion Soup [Revisited]

• 7 cups sliced onions
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 2 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 4 springs of fresh thyme
  • 8 cups vegetable broth (I used homemade)
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • fresh baguette, cut into 1 inch thick pieces
  • 1 cup grated Swiss or gruyere (or a combination of the two)
  • Salt/Pepper, to taste

Melt the butter and oil over medium-low heat in a large saucepans. Add the sliced onion and toss until coated with butter / oil. Cover, lower heat to low, and let cook for 15 minutes untouched (go play with your puppy, eat some almond butter, read a magazine, etc).

Uncover, turn the heat back up to medium-low and add in the sugar and a dash of salt. Cook for about an hour and stir frequently. Cook until the onions have become a deep brown and are irrisistable sweet.

Add the flour and cook for a minute. Next, add in the wine, broth, and thyme springs. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and use a spoon to scoop out the thyme stems.

Transfer soup into your desired amount of  ovenproof soup bowls. Top each with a  thick slice of baguette and grated cheese. Stick under the broiler until the cheese has melted and is just started to brown.

Enjoy!

frenchonion4

• Reply Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen May 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I would happily eat french onion soup any time of the year! This looks so delicious!

• Reply Shellywest May 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Agreed, Rosie! It’s so flavorful and chocked full of cheesy goodness that I could probably never turn down a bowl…even in a heat wave!

• Reply Heather May 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

Beautiful!

• Reply Vore May 19, 2013 at 3:43 am

There’s no season for soup :) oNION SOUP IS A TRADITION HERE IN bELGIUM TOO AND YOURS LOOKs YUMMY !

• Reply Vore May 19, 2013 at 3:44 am

It looks like I had some problem with Caps Lock :D

• Reply Shellywest May 19, 2013 at 9:50 am

Haha – it just makes you look REAL enthusiastic! Glad to hear french onion soup is even loved halfway across the world : ]

• Reply Andrea September 9, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Thank you for the recipe! I’ve just made this myself and it was delicious! I’ll definitely be making it again!

• Reply Luristamisväärsed talvesupid | Puhvet - võileivakõrvane November 23, 2013 at 8:14 am

[…] siiski üks supiretsept Vegeterian Adventures lehelt. Ma olen kord elus sibulasuppi keetnud, aga see ei tulnud just kõige parem välja. […]

• Reply MV December 9, 2013 at 6:21 am

Hi I’m making this for a dinner party on Sunday, sounds yummy. Would you say this is ok for 6 people as an entrée? Or shall I halve the recipe? Thanks!

• Reply Shellywest December 9, 2013 at 8:46 am

That sounds wonderful! I would definitely make the full recipe – it makes about 8 cups so that would be a little over a cup each. In fact, if you don’t mind leftovers, I would double the recipe just to be safe but it’s completely your call (and depends on if you have a stock pot big enough for that). Hope that helps!

• Reply MV December 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Oh brilliant, thanks so much!!

• Reply Lynn December 23, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I made this a couple of weeks ago. I’m making it again. Time consuming, but so delicious!!!! My fiancé doesn’t really like soup at all, but he ate so much, he didn’t want dinner! making it tonight, again!