Vanilla Bean & Espresso Granola

November 3, 2013

coffeegranola4

Keeping it simple for today’s post. Sometimes you have the energy to make a 20 step breakfast recipe and other times you just want to be able to throw something together in five minutes, stick it in the oven, and crawl back into bed with your coffee for another hour. Yeah, I don’t care if that makes me sound lazy. You think I’m lazy now, just wait until the frigid months of January and February roll around. Ha, no but on a serious note – I’ve just been super busy getting some really great guest posts together for the month of November (more on that in the coming weeks).

I actually made this granola recipe back in September and am just now getting around to posting it. I originally had made it for my stepdad’s birthday (I made him a bunch of baked goods and sent out a little care package). However, I had been putting off posting this because I really wanted to make my own coffee extract first. Have you ever made coffee extract? I’ve only ever made vanilla but it seems silly to not experiment with other ones. Unfortunately, so far I’ve been pretty un-enthuised with the end results for my coffee extract. I really wanted to be able to make an extract out of leftover coffee grounds but have been unsuccessful as of now. So, for the time being, I am sticking with using part of an espresso shot in the recipe below.

coffeegranola6

Vanilla Bean & Espresso Granola

• 1 1/2 tablespoons cooled espresso (OR 1 tablespoon instant coffee mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoon hot water OR 2 teaspoons coffee extract)
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
  • 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 vanilla bean, seeds only (discard pod)
  • 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk together the espresso, coconut oil, vanilla bean seeds and maple syrup. In another bowl, mix together the almonds, oats, and shredded coconut. Slowly pour the espresso mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until  the granola is coated.

Spread across the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Stir and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Serve with dark chocolate chips (optional but a good choice, none-the-less), yogurt, ice cream, cashew cream, or whatever you are feeling.

coffeegranola3

• Reply Harriet November 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

This looks wonderfully delicious. I’m very intrigued by your coffee-extract experiments…I’ve never ventured into extract making territory, but I probably should because of the rate that I use vanilla extract. Also, granola is the perfect gift, I’m thinking of doing up big jars for Christmas. I bet your step-dad was pleased :)

• Reply Shellywest November 6, 2013 at 9:55 am

You should definitely try making vanilla extract! it’s WAY cheaper than buying from the store and isn’t that ‘imitation’ weird stuff. Also, agreed – granola is pretty much the perfect gift for any occasion!

• Reply Ashley November 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm

This looks phenomenal. I love the flavor combo – seems exquisite. Cannot wait to try this, thank you! :)

• Reply Elisa November 3, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Absolutely love the sound of this!

Will definitely be making a batch soon!!

Brilliant!

xx

• Reply Shellywest November 6, 2013 at 9:53 am

Yay! Let me know how it turns out for you, Elisa!

• Reply Jacquelyn | lark & linen November 3, 2013 at 11:30 pm

My mouth is legitimately watering. Amazing!

• Reply Casey November 4, 2013 at 8:32 pm

How very fancy! Mouth watering delicious!

• Reply Lin November 7, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I have a batch baking in the oven right now and the kitchen smells insanely delicious! I can’t wait to pile this on some yoghurt for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Shellywest November 8, 2013 at 11:12 am

YAY! I love hearing about when people actually try out the recipes!! Nothing like the smell of fresh baked (vanilla & coffee soaked) granola!

• Reply Kare @ Kitchen Treaty November 8, 2013 at 9:39 am

I thought I couldn’t like granola any more then I already do until … COFFEE! Brilliant, brilliant. More caffeine in the morning is a good, good thing.

• Reply Shellywest November 8, 2013 at 11:11 am

Agreed! Never too much coffee in the AM.

• Reply Friday Favorites | Charming on the Cheap November 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm

[...] 1. Vanilla Bean & Espresso Granola I’ve been on a huge granola kick since I made this granola last month. That last batch is almost gone and I’ve been digging around for a new recipe to try. The flavors in this one sound incredible and I can’t wait to try it in yogurt and even just as a snack! [...]

• Reply My “Famous” Maple Granola | SamLovesBaking November 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

[…] Vanilla Bean & Espresso Granola (vegetarianventures.com) […]

• Reply Yogourt Parfait – Basil and Sage May 20, 2014 at 3:19 pm

[…] I served these delicious yogourt parfaits. I used vanilla Greek yogourt, homemade granola (from this recipe) and fresh raspberries and garnished with a few mint leaves. Simple and delicious. I did […]

• Reply Marlou June 10, 2014 at 9:20 am