This Strawberry Rhubarb Gin & Tonic recipe is the perfect spring (/ early summer) twist on a gin and tonic. It’s light, refreshing, and has the tiniest hint of sweet.
I’ve been feeling pretty scatter brained lately so it only felt nature to write this post in the same form. Here are a few things that have been on my mind lately:
- I had the local book launch party for Vegetarian Heartland on Friday and it was so so so perfect. The book doesn’t technically come out until later this month (get your pre-order in now!) but I already had the spot reserved so we celebrated anyway. A ton of my family came into town for it from all over the country (my brother even surprised me by flying in) and I sold out of books on hand by the second hour. It was such an amazing reminder of the crazy awesome support I have from family and friends. The only thing I regret is being way too all over the place entertaining to take any photos to share with you.
- At the rate I’m going, I should have a gin and tonic recipe on VV for every season by the end of the year. Whoops. What can I say? My taste preferences obviously have an influence on the site and I basically only drink gin. Guess it’s time to start brain storming a summer and fall version.
- Summer really snuck up on me. I’m still in the land of asparagus and rhubarb but the weather is telling me it’s time to get out to the lake and get my tan on. Anyone else surprised by these early heat waves? They feel…unnatural to say the least.
- Do you have any podcast or book recommendations? Now that the launch party has passed, I’m planning to take some time for myself in the form of going on jogs (to call them runs would be a stretch) with my pup and lazily read on the porch.
This spring (/ early summer) twist on a gin and tonic is so refreshing with the tiniest hint of sweet. I’d like to think it’s the best summer porch cocktail. There will be extra simple syrup after making these which you can use in soda water (to make a soda drink) or even drizzle it over chocolate ice cream. I like my drink only faintly sweet but you are welcome to add more simple syrup if you want it to be a little more flavorful. My gins of choice are either Hendricks or Koval – both go down smooth and taste, to me, like summer.
Strawberry Rhubarb Gin & Tonic
- For simple syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb stalks
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- For cocktail:
- 8 fluid oz gin
- 16 fluid oz tonic water
- 8 Tbsp strawberry rhubarb simple syrup (recipe below)
- Lime wedges , for garnish
- Mint , for garnish
Combine sugar, water, strawberries, and rhubarb stalks in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes, smashing the fruit with the back of a wooden spoon along the way. Remove from heat and strain the syrup into a glass bowl or cup. Discard leftover fruit and set syrup aside to cool completely.
To make the cocktails: Add 2 fl. oz gin, 4 fl oz tonic water, 1 Tbsp strawberry rhubarb syrup, and a lime wedge to 4 individual glasses. Top with ice and mint. Serve right away.